Sunday, June 9, 2013

Best Places to View the Night Sky List

 
 
Best Places to View the Night Sky in the U.S.
 
A List for My Daughter
 
I tried to make this list do-able, meaning I chose places where I had family or friends whom we could also visit or places within Pennsylvania.  This is a list of great star-gazing sites that I hope my daughter and I can one day visit.
 
 
Grand Canyon, AZ:  We could stay with my friend who lives in Superior, AZ.  The drive will be about four hours, but well worth it.  It would be fun to go during a star-party!
 
 
Sedona, AZ:  This will be about a 3 hour drive away from Superior.  Several companies offer star-gazing tours here & the city has 300 clear nights a year!
 
 
 
 
Cherry Springs State Park, PA:  This is about a four-hour drive from my house but as a Pennsylvanian it would be crazy to miss out on this experience!  According to this website, "It's one of the only spots in the United States listed as a gold site by the International Dark-Sky Association (IDSA)".  We would most likely camp, saving on hotel-bills & enjoying the experience of a beautiful night sky above our heads.
 
 
 
 
Joshua Tree National Park:  Because I have several friends & some family in Southern California, it would be a great idea to make a visit to CA in the near future and see the night sky from Joshua Tree National Park.  Here is a link to the many events the park holds for star-gazers:
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment